Tuesday, April 24, 2018

DK


Happy Spring/Summer/Winter everyone!...not sure which day you'll be reading this and so far the week has felt like all three!

I wanted to share with you a space I've been working on for the sweetest girl and the sweetest family.  



Jodi is a friend of mine from childhood.  In fact, I can't remember not knowing her.  It was such a treat working with her and her daughter. 
 Last week another friend posted this online..


I present to you the spelling bee winners from 1982.  Jodi is middle back row and I am front right.  A few questions I have from this picture--why are there so many winners and why are there no boys?  
Ok, back to the design...



I first met with them a while before I was able to begin (hence the Christmas decor).  Their home is gorgeous with lots of great earth tones.  The room was a bit dark and they were hoping for a more light and fresh feel.  She wanted to still use turquoise, black and white.  They also decided to keep all their furniture.  Eventually they plan to get a daybed, so all the bedding will work great for that size bed too.  



Shopping for these rooms is so fun.  We were checking out when DK spotted this chair, plopped in it and declared "this is the one."  



Since they live in another town, we kept all of the stuff at my house until install day. 



I decided to sand and distress the bed since there were several scuffs.  I've done this to lots of furniture over the years--it's easy and inexpensive and if you don't like it, it's already prepped for new paint. 





DK helped me paint the abstract you see in the next photo.  She painted a few other canvases you'll see on the walls too.  
I love helping girls use their creativity and then seeing their art included in the room. 
I remember the first time a friend used the word "creative" and "artist" to describe me--I had never thought of myself like that before, and just hearing the words almost made me cry.  It's amazing how much power words carry.



For the wall color, I knew I wanted to go lighter, but wanted to stay within the color scheme of the rest of their house so we went with the lightest shade on the color strip the builder used for the rest of the house.



We worked all day on the install so these girls had been waiting a long time.  Her sisters' squeals of delight were the highlight of the day!





This lamp with it's black base and black and white chord was made for this room.
You can also see the black and white sheets we found on clearance.


The only thing I did to the desk was sprayed the handles gold.  We found this chair online and the trash can was in the bathroom hiding behind the toilet! 



We went with a fitted sheet on the box spring instead of a bedskirt.

This chair was a great find, it's so comfortable.  The light that will hang above it is on back order and will be here next month.  I'll update the photo when it's installed.


Hanging flat sheets with curtain clips is another inexpensive trick.  I love special window treatments, but sometimes having something simple and white works wonders to help calm and soften a space.



Since she loves pillows as much as I do, we went for it!  So many textures.  My favorite is the blue sequin body pillow that you can hardly see in this photo--it is so big and the color is divine.  
I've heard that she has made her bed every day since...



I found this black ladder online and used it to balance the mirror that's on the other side of the dresser.  I ordered the cutest lights to string on the ladder, but they started smoking when we put the battery in so Jodi raided her attic for Christmas lights as a temporary fix.




...cute little print I found in a box in her room...



The TV was already installed so I made it a gallery wall.  Some of the items we found on our shopping trip, some things I found in her room, and some we painted onsite.








...new knobs...


...lots of textures...


...letterboards add fun and personality... Her last name is Coffee, btw:)


...new furry chair, new sequins!...



...new wall color with new black and white accessories... 



...new curved shower rod for more room in the shower, along with this adorable new curtain...



Thanks for taking a look everyone.  

Need some design help too?  
Click here!

Have a great week:)

1 comment:

  1. I may be a little biased, but you're the BEST, Heather! Love your impeccable taste, and that you are willing to work the existing items into the mix. The economical shopping makes the full-package the way to go! Thanks so much for putting your hard work and effort (as well as PATIENCE) into this project. Hope to work with you again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete